Benchmarking the sites of API management products
The page dedicated to Apigee Edge presents all the features of Edge: designing, securing, scaling, publishing, visualisizing, monetizing and comparing API's. All features have their own section on the page, available from the sidebar.
What I liked:
- diagrams of the product, particularly the one at the top of the page > make the page very visual and uncluttured
- downloadable material (books and pdfs) that demonstrates their expertise on APIs
- having separate sections for each feature
- sidebar: easy access to all sections
- Next steps: link to demo and sign-up
What I don't like
- The page is too long
- Link to demo and sign-up only at the bottom of the page, should be sooner
- The video
- Too many different visual elements or styles on the same page > cleaner style would appear more modern
Here are example of the content per feature:
Top of the page
* Heading: _Intelligent API Management._
Manage, secure, scale and analyze your APIs with Apigee Edge
Contains an overall picture of Edge
Design & Develop
* Heading: _Design and Develop Better APIs… Fast! _
Enable agile API development and maintain secure reliable back-end operations
Contains a diagram of API platform together with backend system and text about their relationship
- 3 expandable text boxes about modernizing APIs (e.g. SOAP to REST conversion), mobile-ready services and creating new services.
* Heading: _API Security at all Points of Engagement_
API and data security, threat protection, regulatory compliance & identity management
Contains a video about security and compliance and a list of supported technologies or policies
- Downloadable e-book about API security
- 3 expandable text boxes about PCI and HIPAA compliance, cloud security and bot protection
* Heading: _Deploy & Scale your APIs With Ease_
Cloud scale, global presence, centralized management
Text aboutb APIs needing to be available 24/7
- Diagram about having the application in company's own cloud or in apigee cloud
- Downloadable pdf file about API deployment model
- 3 expandable text boxes about achieving cloud scale, going global and api-first management
* Heading: _Engage Developers Internally and Externally_
You could have the best APIs in the world, but what if no one used it?
Text about developer portals and picture of either reference or sample developer portals
- Downloadable e-book: Developers hate marketing
- 3 expandable text boxes about interactive api documentation, self service and CMS
* Heading: _Comprehensive Visibility with API Analytics_
Measure and analyze API traffic through automatic and continuous data collection
Animation about API analytics / visualization
- Bulleted list of API analytics features (Performance, latency, and error analysis, App and developer adoption, Geo and device distribution, Custom reports and API analytics, One minute data aggregation)
- Downloadable analytics datasheet
- Link to a video about Apigee's approach to analytics
- analytics being ready to use, metrics and analytics flexibility and availability of fine-grained analysis
* Heading: _Profit from the API Economy_
Innovate and iterate on new business models with your APIs
Text about out-of-box pricing models
- Diagram about pricing models
- Downloadable pdf file about API monetization
- 3 expandable text boxes about experimenting with monetization / business models, being able to bill globally and tracking usage limits
* Heading: _Compare Apigee Edge Products_
Launch like a startup, scale like an enterprise
Diagram and text presenting different versions of Edge
- Link to a comparison of features of different product versions
- 3 expandable text boxes
* Speed and simplicity (free trial), link to sign-up
- Proven API management, link to online demo
- Scales with your success, link to feature comparison
Screenshot from the top section of the page:
The 3scale frontpage is divided into several sections, which you can reach by scrolling down (no separate navigation)
- Header contains a horizontal navigation bar and links to search, login and support.
- Top of page contains a cover photo of traffic with the text _Take control of your API's. _There is also a button for creating a free account and on option to toggle between 4 cover photos with texts and action buttons.
- Second section contains brief introductions about why should one select 3scale and how it works (plus links to these pages. It also contains information about access /pricing, performance and partners and links to relevant pages.
- Third section contains examples of partners, links to recent posts and events and a featured API.
- Fourth section is a "call-for-action" section with a button for creating an account.
- Footer contains links to different parts of the homepage and to social media.
Wishlist for frontpage
APInf homepage should contain the following elements:
- product logo: top left corner
- product name and mission statement: below logo
- cover photo: top of page
- Login button and Register link: top right corner
- Features for both API users and API owners: below cover photo. The pics act either as links to relevant sections on a feature page or open pop-ups with further descriptions. (This depends also on the content of the following section.)
- Description of functionality/offering with screenshot(s): below feature lists. This could be a dynamic images that change/slide automatically and that can alternatively be scrolled.
- Buttons for potential next steps e.g. Register, Learn more: below feature description
- Social media links: bottom left corner
- Sign in link: bottom right corner
- Join community link: bottom right corner. Link leads to Developer community page or equivalent.
See below for an initial idea of the page elements.
!(https://hackpad-attachments.s3.amazonaws.com/apinf.hackpad.com_CVfSbN1cMk2_p.363414_1437119704904_APInf front page_v3.png)